Put down that artificial and nasty sugar-laden jar of jam and pick up your apron – because I am going to show you just how easy it is to make healthy, tasty jam for your toast or to give as an adorable little gift this festive season… Just three ingredients are needed and it takes around 15 minutes total.
This jam is delicious spread on toast or stirred into porridge – I love to mix it with homemade almond butter and top my oats for breakfast. Divine.
–1 cup of blueberries or raspberries (or half and half)
–1/2 cup of honey (the finest you can afford/find) depending on how sweet you like it
–3 tablespoons of chia seeds
You will need: A small/medium saucepan, a mason jar or a sealable container and a wooden spoon.
This recipe creates enough for one small jar of homemade jam, double up or triple it for more.
- Clean your fruit with water. You can use blueberries or raspberries, or both… In fact I’m sure you can experiment with whichever fruit you like.
- Turn your hob to a medium/high heat and place fruit in a saucepan on the heat. Let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes and stir if needed.
- Turn hob down to medium/low and add the honey.
- Keep stirring and let everything simmer for a couple of minutes before turning the heat of the hob down to lowest flame.
- Add the chia seeds and stir in.
- Let everything simmer for around 10-20 minutes.If you need to add more chia seeds to thicken it, do.
- Keep an eye on the pan and stir as needed.
- When you feel it’s ready (i.e. It looks like jam), let the mixture cool right down (for an hour or so) and then store it in a sealed in mason jar. Keep in the fridge.